Sunday, January 12, 2014

Why?

It is a simple question. Why teach in a Lutheran School. There are plenty of perfectly adequate public schools that probably have better funding, resources, and reputation. Why would someone willingly go into an underpaid and immensely hard profession? Do we get a thrill of off the struggle? Do we want to be the hero? As a young Lutheran schools teacher I really had to step back and reflect on my decision. I couldn't just accept this position without giving my faith a "backbone" or a stronger base of faith.

So, what are the reasons for going into this vocation? Why teach in a Lutheran school? I guess I could first state, why not? I have a faith that has been acquired through study of the word and a continual need to expand that knowledge. I look at it as a grand blessing to be on a "co-mission" with Jesus Christ, assisting in the care of souls in a manner that is consistent with the word of Christ that I am familiar with. When on staff at a lutheran school there is a natural need for collaboration. Ideas and ideals are shared to better the learning process/experience for students. This collaboration should be considered when working with the Lord. He should be considered to be on staff in the school setting. We must collaborate with the Lord and this will better the learning experience for students. This is a natural idea for me but it is also one that needs to be constantly reflected upon. 

Why am I a lutheran schools teacher? I am a Lutheran school teacher because God has called me to be one.  What an amazing way to find your profession. 

No comments:

Post a Comment