Thursday, February 27, 2014

Crossed Connections

The other day I was diving into the bible for some inspirational reading. It is always refreshing and just a little builder-uper. However, this time that I cracked open the good book I was finding myself lulled into a melancholy state. I wanted to shake this feeling so I started to think. I wanted a stronger refresher. So, being the English study that I am, I turned to another version. The King James version.

I have experience this version before and it can be a real mind bender with the language usage. However, it was lyrical to me this time around. I love how the words flow like poetry and how they entice the reader. It was the refresher that I needed and since I was refreshed I got to thinking. Wouldn't this be fun to use in the English classroom?

I kept playing with the idea of poetry. Poetry is one of those tricky areas of content that students either love or hate. Besides using texts like "Where the Sidewalk Ends" which incorporate humor, why not use this version of the bible?

I took the book of Psalms and looked for poetic devices within the verses. As an instructor of the faith, this could make a real life connection to the bible. Students could pick out different poetic devices, illustrate the text (how they visualize the text), compare and contrast, and many more activities.

Since I revamped my faith again, I feel that it has yet again flourished and enhanced my classroom. I will continue to strive for a active faith and encourage others to do the same.

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."
-Hebrews 11:1

Here are resources for these ideas:

http://www.chaparralpoets.org/devices.pdf

http://www.kingjamesbibleonline.org/

No comments:

Post a Comment