Monday, March 3, 2014

A Vocal Vocation

Teaching is a tricky thing. It is a profession that tends to run instructors down and eventually this causes negative affects on the student's education. Lutheran education is especially hard because of the 'high commitment with little pay' reality. As an instructor, why would you ever choose Lutheran Education?

I have been in a public school for my first student teaching  placement and it really has been an affirmation of my call to Lutheran education. I see the benefits of being in a public institution. Better pay, more assistance, and better resources are all a great aspect to the public setting. However, I have found it extremely difficult to not integrate my faith. That in itself is enough to keep me at the Lutheran setting.

It is sad to me that sometimes on a Lutheran school staff a husband and wife on that same staff, cannot provide for their family. These individuals are forced to go to the public setting to provide for their family. This is a disgusting reality to me. Yes, the call to teach in the Lutheran setting is a mission but these schools need to value their teachers. The call is real and the board need to continue to provide for these teachers. This is easier said then done, but instructors need to remember they are valuable. Instructors need to have a Christ driven voice regarding their vocation.

Teachers need to stay, pray, and discuss their comments and concerns that they are faced with in the Lutheran setting.

No comments:

Post a Comment